Saturday, October 26, 2013

A New Horizon

In high school, relationships were considered fairly simple for the fact that you saw that person everyday, you weren't always busy with the hectic schedules that come along with being a college student. In high school I was in a serious relationship for about a year. We had that promise of forever, and nothing was going to get in the way of the plans that we had for our future, but everything began to change. My girlfriend and I went to separate colleges, even though it was 20 minutes apart, it was a closer distance than we had before. The first few weeks were full of excitement, telling stories about how classes were going and everything her day consisted of. It was a new experience for both of us, and it seemed like everything was falling into place, until about 2 months in. The phone calls goodnight stopped, whenever I had a bad day she did not try and make it better or even like she cared. I knew something was wrong. I kept asking if everything was okay, and she just brushed it off and changed the subject. She eventually told me that she felt like it was our time to go our separate ways, I honestly did not know what to say. All the times in high school when we couldn't take our eyes off each other, the moments where we literally laughed until we cried, late movie nights, and everything else that made that relationship like no other. I tried to remind of her of all the times we shared and it did not make a difference to her, she had made up her mind and there was nothing I can do about it. Weeks went by and I still tried to text her, but I never got a reply. I saw all these couples holding hands and having the time of their lives and I just thought about what I did wrong to make her want to go. Eventually she got up the nerve to tell me the real reason why she had changed, which involved a late night with a random hook up. I was devastated for a while, not knowing what I did not wrong to make her make the decisions she did. It took me a long time to realize I never messed up. I did everything I possibly could to show her how much I cared, I bought her flowers, I wrote her notes, I made her a get well card and got her a balloon when she wast feeling well. I realized you can always try to do the right things but sometimes it is just never enough for some people. Since the breakup, I started doing things for myself, which I had never done before and it actually was pretty nice. I started making friends and laughing in a new way. I met a pretty nice girl, who just got out of the same situation I did and we hit it off pretty well. Things are gradually getting back on track. It took me sometime to realize that everything happens for a reason, and if it is meant to be it'll find a way, if not, then you just have to learn from your mistakes and move on with your life because the world is not going to stop spinning just for you.

2 comments:

  1. The stuff that went down with your ex really sucks, but you're right about all things happening for a reason.Even though its kinda starts on a bad note, I really enjoyed reading this. It has a happy ending so it's all good X)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The things about relationships in high school falling apart in colleges has happened to almost all of my friends in India even though both go to the same college.

    ReplyDelete